How to make an STDM cable for cheap
- dante
- Posts: 5089
- Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Melbourne Australia
- Contact:
-
Immanuel
- Posts: 3018
- Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Aalborg, Denmark
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
Aah! I saw these pictures too. But when I looked at Neutron's picture, it appeared to me that they where single clamps used for two cables. Maybe they are individual clamps, which just sit shoulder to shoulder on the cards?
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
-
haba
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
Hello I'm from Germany and in the need of one STDM cable. The standard cable dosn't fit my motherboards PCI slots. Does this two Items would fit my needs?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2PCs-Card-Edge-C ... EoS9knYCyw
http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-Pin-Card-Edge ... SwKrhVds5r
Thank you for watching!
haba
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2PCs-Card-Edge-C ... EoS9knYCyw
http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-Pin-Card-Edge ... SwKrhVds5r
Thank you for watching!
haba
- garyb
- Moderator
- Posts: 23474
- Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: ghetto by the sea
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
S/TDM cables connect two or three cards together. they go on the card, not the PCI slot.
this one looks correct, but i'd use gold contacts, not phosphor bronze. the bronze contacts may oxidize, which will eventually make the cable fail. i think nickel would be better than bronze as well, even though nickel is also prone to oxidation.
this one looks correct, but i'd use gold contacts, not phosphor bronze. the bronze contacts may oxidize, which will eventually make the cable fail. i think nickel would be better than bronze as well, even though nickel is also prone to oxidation.
-
haba
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
Thank you Gary, I know, but my PCI slot spacing did`nt fit the standard cable (its too short). What do you think about the other one? would require some soldering but it sould not be that bad.
They say it uses gold contacts.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2PCs-Card-Edge-C ... EoS9knYCyw
They say it uses gold contacts.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2PCs-Card-Edge-C ... EoS9knYCyw
- garyb
- Moderator
- Posts: 23474
- Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: ghetto by the sea
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
the other connectors simply crimp on as much ribbon cable as you like. sure, you can solder it, but that's an ugly job.
-
haba
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
thanks Gary...I habe two older original cables...the one doesn't sit well...the other doesn't make a good connection...and because I need 4 cables..I thought I'll give it a try with soldering. But your right...60 solderpoints for one cable...it's ugly...
- Marco
- Posts: 1260
- Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 pm
- Location: Ödenwald
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
I bought 2 cards from one guy, this is the easiest way to get the cables for nothing to pay extra because they are part of the offer!
I know, this will not help you
Now I have 5 cables connected, working great with 3 x 15 dsp cards
Runs like hell!
I know, this will not help you
Now I have 5 cables connected, working great with 3 x 15 dsp cards
Runs like hell!
-
haba
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
I finally bought 20 connectors for 15 euro...I have 5 X 6 DSP and 1 Luna to connect...
- Marco
- Posts: 1260
- Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 pm
- Location: Ödenwald
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
You are a lucky man! Really.
-
haba
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:53 pm
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
This ones don't fit...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2PCs-Card-Edge-C ... EoS9knYCyw
in case that sombebody wants to to buy them.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2PCs-Card-Edge-C ... EoS9knYCyw
in case that sombebody wants to to buy them.
-
ta7
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
I don't know if the question completely answered. But here is a useful link. It is only in German but i thing with a translater easy to understand
http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... 56&lang=de
http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... 56&lang=de
- dante
- Posts: 5089
- Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Melbourne Australia
- Contact:
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
Selecting the English flag icon works, for both the page and the PDF - no need for a translator.
- garyb
- Moderator
- Posts: 23474
- Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: ghetto by the sea
Re: How to make an STDM cable for cheap
the info here and on Scoperise has part numbers and everything...