Prevent Scope from auto launching on boot

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post Reply
BRG
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 4:00 pm

Prevent Scope from auto launching on boot

Post by BRG »

W10/64bit Scope7. I’ve tried every conceivable method except registry edit to prevent Scope from startup on boot/reboot to no avail. It’s disabled in Startup Settings but it spits in my face and launches anyway. It also oddly claims to be Scope 32bit in task manager even after 2 re-installs of Scope7 64bit. What the heck, over?

Steve T
User avatar
valis
Posts: 8033
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: West Coast USA
Contact:

Re: Prevent Scope from auto launching on boot

Post by valis »

Use CCleaner or a similar tool and check the startup

If you already changed startup programs in Windows 7 by checking the Startup folder in the Start menu, and used the MSConfig (System Configuration) tool to enable or disable startup programs, then I suggest using a CCleaner to go through startup items there. I like CCleaner because I can 'disable' them instead of removing them entirely, and then delete the entry later if everything is fine.
BRG
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 4:00 pm

Re: Prevent Scope from auto launching on boot

Post by BRG »

Thanks valis. CCleaner did the trick!

Now do I have to completely uninstall Scope, then reinstall to make it show as a 64bit version?
User avatar
sunmachine
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:37 am

Re: Prevent Scope from auto launching on boot

Post by sunmachine »

The SCOPE application is still 32-bit (drivers are 64-bit), so there should be no need to reinstall it if it’s working.
BRG
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 4:00 pm

Re: Prevent Scope from auto launching on boot

Post by BRG »

Thanks sunmachine. I thought I did something wrong on the install since Task Manager said my install was 32bit.
User avatar
valis
Posts: 8033
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: West Coast USA
Contact:

Re: Prevent Scope from auto launching on boot

Post by valis »

The Scope GUI that communicates with the driver & hardware is still 32bit, yes.

With my PCI box, I don't leave scope running mostly because I allow it to sit in a balanced power profile while idle, and the PCI cards might have a hiccup in communication that causes me to return to the PCI error or etc. However I do not power cycle that box, so the PCI cards are not thermally idle, so the power savings is mostly allowing the CPU access to sleep states for the cores & etc. This does give moderate power savings, as the CPU will idle closer to 35W than 86W or whatever the package envelope is, the screen and GPU output sleep, the GPU enters low power mode, and the total machine draw drops from around 410W to 250 or so.

Why is this relevant? Having the Scope app autostart is only an issue if you think other things you do with the machine will cause communication error popups. This can be the case with games that suck bus bandwidth for feeding the GPU, and etc. A heavy 3D render that hit all cores at 100% was a sure fire way to get scope to complain too, back when I needed to share machine duties.

With my Xite box, I can even sleep the host pc entirely as long as the Xite is not powered off, and Scope is not running. Which means when I boot the machine again and run Scope Xite, it sees the box in the state it expects. PCI cards need to remain powered to stay in that state, hence not being able to sleep PCI cards.

Having the Scope app be 64bit wouldn't change this, nor to be honest would an updated driver. There are some issues that the latter would solve, but I'm not sure the GUI would ever need more than 2.5GB of RAM to function. There might be a case for when 32bit code is obsolesced of violations in future security models, but for now I don't think those are issues.

There are some changes coming in Win11 canary builds (future OS releases) that will give a massive overhaul to MIDI and soundcards and their features, but that's so far beyond the bounds of a Win7 box autostarting Scope...I'll stop. :D
BRG
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 4:00 pm

Re: Prevent Scope from auto launching on boot

Post by BRG »

Thanks!
Post Reply