Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post Reply
fidox
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by fidox »

Hi !

Recently my computer started to make some interferences.

When I load Scope project, it's fine.
Then I run Cubase Pro and load project.
After I hit play, I can see in Scope window the static noise occur and after awhile everything stops playing and Scope freezes.
When starting Scope again and playing little arround Scope settings (Ulli, samplerate ....) , Scope works normally, like it start working better when computer is warm.
Anyway, it could also be the end of Pulsar 2 XTC board.

Also, when checking at Scope samplerate I can see SP-DIF light is blinking all the time, but I don't have connected anything to Luna II SP-DIF.
(1xLuna II, 2xPulsar XTC), Scope 7.
On my second computer SP-DIF light is not blinking. (2x Luna II cards), Scope 7.

03.jpg
02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
garyb
Moderator
Posts: 23474
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by garyb »

that is pretty common with old cards. it is probably filter caps. i good tech that can do surface-mount soldering should be able to replace them. there is a user in the USA(and here on the Forum) that offers this service.
fidox
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by fidox »

garyb wrote: Tue Jan 13, 2026 7:14 am that is pretty common with old cards. it is probably filter caps. i good tech that can do surface-mount soldering should be able to replace them. there is a user in the USA(and here on the Forum) that offers this service.
Thanks.

I have figured out , my both Pulsar 2 XTC are causing a problems.
I have asked at other forum I have, if this could be done here too.

Testing now, Luna II card (Scope 7 registered), which was beside those 2 Pulsars 2 and one Elektra card, which I have extra.
So far working fine in Cubase, just must live now , atm, with 6 dsp :D
User avatar
valis
Posts: 8033
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: West Coast USA
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by valis »

MIght be your PSU as well? That's a lower power draw on the PCI lines (+5V)
fidox
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Tue Jan 13, 2026 6:54 pm MIght be your PSU as well? That's a lower power draw on the PCI lines (+5V)
Thanks.

I disassembled the computer.
Cleaned everything.
Despite old sound cards, computer components are not quite old and also were not used much so far.

I have posted yesterday some photos and info on my other forum from our country "vintage computers and game consoles".
There are a lot of electronic enthusiasts.

Most answers are, that, it should be easy fix, but i'll see. From words to action :)


"I can already see from the circuit that it is oxidized. First clean the pcb, sometimes it takes very little. Otherwise, replace the small 100nF capacitors. But if it cracks/crackles or makes noise, then this is a semi-analog part, filter capacitors, replace all of that, it is already worn out, the material is disintegrating."


Luna II + Elektra works now perfect, but I hope i'll manage to do something with those Pulsars 2 XTC.
fidox
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by fidox »

I had an answer, if I want to send cards or one option is near by, where I live, they'll need to know, what exactly is to change on cards.
Maybe is there any photo of which parts are ?
Best
User avatar
astroman
Posts: 8487
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by astroman »

fidox wrote: Tue Jan 13, 2026 10:22 pm ...
"I can already see from the circuit that it is oxidized. First clean the pcb, sometimes it takes very little. Otherwise, replace the small 100nF capacitors. But if it cracks/crackles or makes noise, then this is a semi-analog part, filter capacitors, replace all of that, it is already worn out, the material is disintegrating."
You can safely ignore all these hints... (unless you live close to the coast).
I‘ve never ever seen a 100nF cap fail, not even in gear twice as old.
There are no analog parts on a Pulsar XTC, it‘s plain digital.
Scope cards of that age don‘t simply disintegrate, same applies to Pro Tools... or even a Roland DRV2000 from 1985 ;)
(eg gear that had a significantly higher build quality than today‘s mass products)

Mainly pay attention to ALL electrolytic caps on your XTC: some indeed fail internally with no visual sign.
But there is some risk the solder connection (which is UNDER the cap) got loose over time, which ranges from hard to detect to practically invisible.
Reflowing (solder) with proper tools and some experience isn‘t too hard, but of course not ideal as your 1st project.

The service mentioned above is the best option, but shipping to the US takes time, effort and money...
You may find a fellow with good solder skills in your area.

Valis’ hint about the PC‘s PSU is also valid because your problem is power related anyway: the electrolytic caps BUFFER the power when the chip (DSP) is activated. That‘s why you find at least one of them per chip.

best of luck, Tom
fidox
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by fidox »

Both cards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fidox
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by fidox »

astroman wrote: Wed Jan 14, 2026 6:37 am
Valis’ hint about the PC‘s PSU is also valid because your problem is power related anyway: the electrolytic caps BUFFER the power when the chip (DSP) is activated. That‘s why you find at least one of them per chip.
Will check, but PSU should be ok.
fidox
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by fidox »

I have tested cards now also in my second computer, with very similar specifications like my main audio workstation computer and similar errors occurred.
User avatar
valis
Posts: 8033
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: West Coast USA
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by valis »

I looked around for a while for someone in EU/etc who was willing to do what we have stateside so you have a closer repair option, but to no avail. All you need is someone competent with equipment from the last 25 years, doesn't need to be current. Reflowing stations are preferable to doing it by hand, but it's not impossible. I would not make this my first project to do this though.
fidox
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Pulsar 2 and other strange behaviour

Post by fidox »

valis wrote: Thu Jan 15, 2026 1:29 am I looked around for a while for someone in EU/etc who was willing to do what we have stateside so you have a closer repair option, but to no avail. All you need is someone competent with equipment from the last 25 years, doesn't need to be current. Reflowing stations are preferable to doing it by hand, but it's not impossible. I would not make this my first project to do this though.
Thanks for the answer.

I'll see, what are my options.
Post Reply