Is it possible to modify Sonic Timeworks Compressor with the SDK to make it phase coherent and 96kHz friendly?
Thanks
Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
-
Music Manic
- Posts: 1751
- Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 4:00 pm
- Contact:
- astroman
- Posts: 8487
- Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: Germany
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
no chance at all: Scope devices are stripped from all development details before they are delivered... you'd need the original, unencrypted files from Sonic Timeworks. 
But even if you had those, there are 2 obstacles:
SDK back then was VERY different from the current version
Depending on the source design it might be as complicated as just to rewrite the device from scratch.
But even if you had those, there are 2 obstacles:
SDK back then was VERY different from the current version
Depending on the source design it might be as complicated as just to rewrite the device from scratch.
-
Music Manic
- Posts: 1751
- Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 4:00 pm
- Contact:
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
Ah ok thks Astroman
-
LorenOA76
- Posts: 192
- Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:19 am
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
Hello Music Manic,
I agree with astroman, but there’s an even better alternative
The S|C plugins included in Scope v7: Compressor S, SC-C S, SC-GC S, and SC-SL9000 are truly excellent tools. They run flawlessly at a 96kHz sample rate, and their performance is rock solid.
Sonic Core plugins are highly optimized and deliver superb sound quality.
I’ve also attached an all-in-one manual I created, based on the original Sonic Timeworks manuals, along with a picture of the S|C compressor plugins for reference that are really a better alternative. Hopefully, these will be helpful to you.
Best regards,
loren
I agree with astroman, but there’s an even better alternative
The S|C plugins included in Scope v7: Compressor S, SC-C S, SC-GC S, and SC-SL9000 are truly excellent tools. They run flawlessly at a 96kHz sample rate, and their performance is rock solid.
Sonic Core plugins are highly optimized and deliver superb sound quality.
I’ve also attached an all-in-one manual I created, based on the original Sonic Timeworks manuals, along with a picture of the S|C compressor plugins for reference that are really a better alternative. Hopefully, these will be helpful to you.
Best regards,
loren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- valis
- Posts: 8033
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: West Coast USA
- Contact:
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
Note when using these on mono sources both of those things are less of a concern.Music Manic wrote: Fri May 01, 2026 7:39 am Is it possible to modify Sonic Timeworks Compressor with the SDK to make it phase coherent and 96kHz friendly?
Thanks
-
Music Manic
- Posts: 1751
- Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 4:00 pm
- Contact:
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
LorenOA76 wrote: Fri May 01, 2026 8:04 pm Hello Music Manic,
I agree with astroman, but there’s an even better alternative
The S|C plugins included in Scope v7: Compressor S, SC-C S, SC-GC S, and SC-SL9000 are truly excellent tools. They run flawlessly at a 96kHz sample rate, and their performance is rock solid.
Sonic Core plugins are highly optimized and deliver superb sound quality.
I’ve also attached an all-in-one manual I created, based on the original Sonic Timeworks manuals, along with a picture of the S|C compressor plugins for reference that are really a better alternative. Hopefully, these will be helpful to you.
Best regards,
loren
Ah that’s great news I will see if these give me the same effect as the Timeworks plugins, which are effectively just clippers but instant and transparent on volume gain. 96kHz coupled with my headphone amp and good quality headphones have rejuvenated my love for Scope Pulsar II
Never realised the Timeworks plate and chorus were 96kHz friendly. Are the SC compressors made by Sonic Timeworks?LorenOA76 wrote: Fri May 01, 2026 8:04 pm
I’ve also attached an all-in-one manual I created, based on the original Sonic Timeworks manuals, along with a picture of the S|C compressor plugins for reference that are really a better alternative. Hopefully, these will be helpful to you.
I also have DNa’s mastering compressor which has a few bells and whistles.
Thanks again
-
Music Manic
- Posts: 1751
- Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 4:00 pm
- Contact:
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
Do you mean in using the mono versions so they work at 96kHz Valis or to make them phase efficient?valis wrote: Fri May 01, 2026 10:41 pmNote when using these on mono sources both of those things are less of a concern.Music Manic wrote: Fri May 01, 2026 7:39 am Is it possible to modify Sonic Timeworks Compressor with the SDK to make it phase coherent and 96kHz friendly?
Thanks
Thanks.
-
LorenOA76
- Posts: 192
- Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:19 am
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
Yes, the Sonic Timeworks A100, P100, Chorus-Delay, and Inverse A/B were all originally designed to operate at 96 kHz. I’ve attached pictures of them.
However, the incredible work done by SlC, along with the amazing gift we received from Holger in Scope v7, takes things to a whole new level. These plugins have been completely reworked and optimized specifically for the Scope platform. I’ve also attached a picture of the full SlC bundle all of them are fully optimized for XITE-1/D and sound absolutely fantastic.
I’ve compared both versions carefully, and without a doubt, the SlC versions come out on top. In my opinion, there’s really no comparison they even stand strong against similar tools from any other DSP Plugins developers on different platforms.
Hope it helps you,
cheers
loren
However, the incredible work done by SlC, along with the amazing gift we received from Holger in Scope v7, takes things to a whole new level. These plugins have been completely reworked and optimized specifically for the Scope platform. I’ve also attached a picture of the full SlC bundle all of them are fully optimized for XITE-1/D and sound absolutely fantastic.
I’ve compared both versions carefully, and without a doubt, the SlC versions come out on top. In my opinion, there’s really no comparison they even stand strong against similar tools from any other DSP Plugins developers on different platforms.
Hope it helps you,
cheers
loren
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- astroman
- Posts: 8487
- Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: Germany
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
I remember those well and NONE of them had the phase issues (from code placement across DSP boundaries), for which very early SonicTimeworks devices were known. IIrc (vague memory) they even mentioned the issue of the latter was too complex for a simple fix.LorenOA76 wrote: Sat May 02, 2026 6:46 am ... the Sonic Timeworks A100, P100, Chorus-Delay, and Inverse A/B were all originally designed to operate at 96 kHz.
The "compressor" mentioned in the original question might be the MasteringComp which I used for some time in the final loudness stage, but didn't notice any flaws, either...
In those years I frequqntly got annoyed by PCI overflow errors, but discovered Valhalla Room and Plate for the rescue.
Mastering Comp was replaced by SAW Studio's Levelizer and this is what I still use today.
So going native isn't automatically bad...
- valis
- Posts: 8033
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: West Coast USA
- Contact:
Re: Modifying Sonic Timeworks with SDK
The above posts are correct for those recommending to use the S|C native versions of the reverbs and etc. What I meant is that if you use mono sources, you avoid phase issues, and so can use the Sonic Timeworks plugins where applicable in 96Khz as mono instances. Use newer devices from S|C and others for stereo.Music Manic wrote: Sat May 02, 2026 5:21 am Do you mean in using the mono versions so they work at 96kHz Valis or to make them phase efficient?
Thanks.