Discrete crackles
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Discrete crackles
After buying a new pc for my Xite-1, W7 64bits, I had some almost unhearable crackling noise during cubase 8 playback. In cubase, the cpu meter didn't show any spike, thus it didn't came from cubase. But I manipulate ram management nevertheless, cubase asio gard feature, in Kontakt ram option, Omnisphere too ; to see but no good result.
So, I focused on xite. I set up a .bat file to always start Scope with a high process priority level (what you can see in the task manager) and I had much less crackling noise. But I don't want any crackling noise at all !
I don't know how I forgot it but I didn't run Scope as administrator. And guess what, the discrete crackles seem to have disapeared ! I don't remeber to have read anywhere that running Scope as administrator prevented these slight creaking noises but it was useful to load some recalcitrant devices. Apparently, it helps to avoid bad little noises.
Conclusion = there is no reason to load Scope non administrator. I don't know what's the difference or what it does on Scope but the result is incontestable.
My misadventures may perhaps be useful to someone ...
Merci de votre attention.
So, I focused on xite. I set up a .bat file to always start Scope with a high process priority level (what you can see in the task manager) and I had much less crackling noise. But I don't want any crackling noise at all !
I don't know how I forgot it but I didn't run Scope as administrator. And guess what, the discrete crackles seem to have disapeared ! I don't remeber to have read anywhere that running Scope as administrator prevented these slight creaking noises but it was useful to load some recalcitrant devices. Apparently, it helps to avoid bad little noises.
Conclusion = there is no reason to load Scope non administrator. I don't know what's the difference or what it does on Scope but the result is incontestable.
My misadventures may perhaps be useful to someone ...
Merci de votre attention.
- dante
- Posts: 5089
- Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: Melbourne Australia
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
Is processor scheduling set for 'best performance of background services' ?
What's your ULLI set at ?
What's your ULLI set at ?
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
Yes for background services. I did all reasonnable audio improvement.
And it made the noise at every ulli settings.
Now, with administrator mode, it's ok, even if I heard one or two crackling on a 3 hours period. I don't know where it comes from. I bought a MSI MB because of the price, I never had such thing with Asus.
And it made the noise at every ulli settings.
Now, with administrator mode, it's ok, even if I heard one or two crackling on a 3 hours period. I don't know where it comes from. I bought a MSI MB because of the price, I never had such thing with Asus.
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
I forgot to say, according to ulli setings, that if it was a playback issue, I would see the cubase cpu meter lightning in red.. No ?
- garyb
- Moderator
- Posts: 23474
- Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: ghetto by the sea
Re: Discrete crackles
no.
the Cubase meter isn't that accurate. it's possible to have problems long before the meter is activated.
what is sharing an irq again?
no Hyperthreading or Turbo, right?
the Cubase meter isn't that accurate. it's possible to have problems long before the meter is activated.
what is sharing an irq again?
no Hyperthreading or Turbo, right?
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
Euuu...h... Just a minute, please....
Here are irqs, apparently the Xite is alone on 18. Sorry, it's in french -> périphérique = devices ; ressource = ressource...... Ok = ok !
On my ancient pc, the xite shared the graphic card + something else like usb, don't remember well but there was no noise and hyperthreading was on. Yes, I know, it doesn't mean nothing...
If I understood correctly, my cpu doesn't have any hyperthreading feature but turbo, it seems yes :
http://ark.intel.com/products/80816/Int ... o-3_70-GHz
Turbo is suppose to start only when needed and I don't think I've already pushed the pc ressources as hard.. Why would this be a problem ? If I understand well, when turbo is active, instead of running at 3Ghz, the cpu runs at 3.7Ghz...
But I must say that my computer features knowledge is quite limited !
Any idea ?
Here are irqs, apparently the Xite is alone on 18. Sorry, it's in french -> périphérique = devices ; ressource = ressource...... Ok = ok !
On my ancient pc, the xite shared the graphic card + something else like usb, don't remember well but there was no noise and hyperthreading was on. Yes, I know, it doesn't mean nothing...
If I understood correctly, my cpu doesn't have any hyperthreading feature but turbo, it seems yes :
http://ark.intel.com/products/80816/Int ... o-3_70-GHz
Turbo is suppose to start only when needed and I don't think I've already pushed the pc ressources as hard.. Why would this be a problem ? If I understand well, when turbo is active, instead of running at 3Ghz, the cpu runs at 3.7Ghz...
But I must say that my computer features knowledge is quite limited !
Any idea ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
Strange ! By looking at irqs I notice that "contrôleur audio haute definition" (High Definition Audio Controller) is there and I deactivated it in the bios... I go to check that...
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
The high definition audio controller IS unable in the bios ! How is it possible to have it in the irqs ?? 
I can see it in the device manager too !
What is one suppose to do to remove it ? Desoldering its components on the mobo ?
Computer is not an exact science, that's why I prefer physics.
I can see it in the device manager too !
What is one suppose to do to remove it ? Desoldering its components on the mobo ?
Computer is not an exact science, that's why I prefer physics.
-
jksuperstar
- Posts: 1638
- Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:57 pm
Re: Discrete crackles
If you have an HDMI video connector or ADAT output on the board, that may show up as a separate Audio device.
Disable in Windows Device Manager (Right-Click on the device in the list, and you'll find the drop-down menu to disable in there)
Disable in Windows Device Manager (Right-Click on the device in the list, and you'll find the drop-down menu to disable in there)
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
Jksuperstar'> you must be right. And only the hdmi audio is not deactivable and I need the video outputs.
I disabled it in the device manager but the irq 16 remains to it... Anyway, it won't ask any interuption anymore, right ?
Thanks, JK !
I disabled it in the device manager but the irq 16 remains to it... Anyway, it won't ask any interuption anymore, right ?
Thanks, JK !
- garyb
- Moderator
- Posts: 23474
- Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: ghetto by the sea
Re: Discrete crackles
HD audio isn't a problem.
turn off turbo. it doesn't do anything for your audio work. it can make crackles.
turn off turbo. it doesn't do anything for your audio work. it can make crackles.
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
Ah.. Turbo won't help on a heavy cubase project ?
- garyb
- Moderator
- Posts: 23474
- Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: ghetto by the sea
Re: Discrete crackles
no.
try it disabled and see. if i'm incorrect, ignore my advice.
try it disabled and see. if i'm incorrect, ignore my advice.
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
That's it... I disabled turbo to see if those idiot crackling noise disapear totaly.
I've seen another feature that perhaps is involve in that issue : HPET (High Precision Event Timer), it's a feature that appeared with Windows 7. I think I never saw anything like this on my Asus P5Q. Does someone know a bit more about HPET ? Would that feature generate my noisy issue ?
I've seen another feature that perhaps is involve in that issue : HPET (High Precision Event Timer), it's a feature that appeared with Windows 7. I think I never saw anything like this on my Asus P5Q. Does someone know a bit more about HPET ? Would that feature generate my noisy issue ?
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
I truly think an Asus would not make such noise.... F..... Each time I buy something else I get troubles ! (second time in 17 years
Ça meuh casseuh les couilleux !
- ronnie
- Posts: 788
- Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:00 pm
- Location: Varies Between 30Hz & 20KHz
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
Have you tried to run LatencyMon? It might help you pinpoint some service or app that maybe doing something.
LatencyMon
LatencyMon
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
- garyb
- Moderator
- Posts: 23474
- Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: ghetto by the sea
Re: Discrete crackles
EIST is disabled, right?
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
EIST ? What is EIST ?
And HPET ? Not important ? Pfff ! How many is there ?
Gonna try latencymon tomorrow....
And HPET ? Not important ? Pfff ! How many is there ?
Gonna try latencymon tomorrow....
- garyb
- Moderator
- Posts: 23474
- Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
- Location: ghetto by the sea
Re: Discrete crackles
HPET? not important.
EIST is VERY important.
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology- it MUST be disabled.
EIST is VERY important.
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology- it MUST be disabled.
-
JoPo
- Posts: 2306
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: VRRAAaaooOôOooommmh
- Contact:
Re: Discrete crackles
Ecco... To day, I deactivated EIST in the bios. When I did that, the 'turbo' disapeared ! Turbo is avaible on ly if EIST is enable on my MSI mobo.
Now, I start the test... See you later !
Now, I start the test... See you later !