Page 1 of 1

Waldorf Protein

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2025 1:22 am
by valis
https://waldorfmusic.com/protein/

Looks cool, if entry level. Curious about audio routing on that USB C port, if it's a host port too t hat can use a hub to connect upstream & down, etc.

Re: Waldorf Protein

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2025 1:15 pm
by astroman
I noticed it, too... and now dozens of Microwave Ones are offered on German 2nd hand portals :D
(average 1k €, there were only a few every couple of months before)
But this triggered some new attention for the Scope Waldorf OSC, admittedly neglect for too long by myself... :oops:
Those original WTs are still part of Waldorf‘s recent deliveries, as they were in their NW1 Eurorack Module from 2015.

Few documentation about the details of the Scope WT OSC, didn‘t find any in the SDK docs either, but I got some fun in Modular with the single mod input, using some complex modulations which obviously traversed the active table in interesting ways. 8)

Re: Waldorf Protein

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2025 1:39 pm
by valis
Scope waldorf osc doesn't keytrack the same as the waldorf, i can't recall if it's because the wavetables are tracking the keyboard, they're not, or if it was a half tracking (Kontakt had that issue back in the same era, if you wanted to assign key position to mod anything besides pitch). It's difficult to hear in practice, because you'd have to compare to an actual waldorf with open filter, but I *think* this was addressed in one of the more recent Scope implementations of the Quantum wave. Might be wrong on that, it's been a while since we chatted about it (circa 2009 or so).

In practice, no biggie, and might even be a net gain if someone owns a protein or other original hardware, as the Scope has its own tricks.

There was a time I wanted an ASR-X because it does wavetable tricks too (they called it transwaves). Maybe I should get around to that.

Re: Waldorf Protein

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2025 1:54 am
by astroman
valis wrote: Sun Dec 28, 2025 1:39 pm ... but I *think* this was addressed in one of the more recent Scope implementations of the Quantum wave. Might be wrong on that, it's been a while since we chatted about it (circa 2009 or so).
You were right. In Quantum Wave there‘s a fairly extensive access to the path trough the waves of a single table, including start points and sections. 8)
It‘s quite a DSP hog and iirc I had trouble installing it in Scope 5, but no such problems in Scope 7, works like a charm.
Aside from the wave processing features the filter is exceptionally well parameterized and performs smooth sweeps though there are just those infamous 127 steps in midi CC.
Tbh when I bought it I had few ideas about wavetables, but later Wolfgang Palm‘s Wave Generator on iPad revealed the mode of operation.
In practice, no biggie, and might even be a net gain if someone owns a protein or other original hardware, as the Scope has its own tricks.
+1
There was a time I wanted an ASR-X because it does wavetable tricks too (they called it transwaves). Maybe I should get around to that.
Seconded - the Ensoniq samplers feature the famous Philips TDA1541 DA converters. It‘s funny how those 16bit types outperform basically ALL 24 bit devices sonically. :o :D

Re: Waldorf Protein

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2025 11:14 pm
by valis
Being musical and being well engineered have overlap, but the ladder does not always guarantee the former.