Page 1 of 1

Best Scope version for older OS

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2025 9:48 am
by Dream22
Hi - sorry if it's been asked before, but I have 2 older machines with Scope PCI cards. They've been running well for years, so I've not been inclined to change anything.
One is a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 with 16GB or RAM running windows 7 Pro and Scope v5.1.2709-x64. It has 2 1 5DSP cards and 1 6 DSP card (36 total)
The second is a really old Pentium III 800Mhz with 1GB of RAM running Windows XP (32-bit) and Scope v5.1.2709-x86.

Pretty sure I'm not messing with the XP machine (unless I retire it and move the Scope cards to something newer). However, would there be sufficient benefit to upgrade the Win7 machine to Scope v7?

Happy Holidays to all!

Re: Best Scope version for older OS

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2025 11:11 am
by nebelfuerst
I don't think there's a noticeable benefit from 5 to 7, if you remain on Win7. Typically other audiosoftware requires Win10, which is a strong argument for Scope7. (But supporting SC is always an other argument :) )

Re: Best Scope version for older OS

Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2025 11:22 am
by Dream22
@nubelfuerst: thanks much for the reply.
I treat the older scope machines as dedicated mixers, “outboard” fx, and synths for rest of studio. It means running more computer but it works for me.
FWIW- I did support SC fairly recently with an xite-1 purchase running the modular 4 and Adern Flexor modules. Maybe I will upgrade the win7 machine with pci cards to scope v7 and keep the xp legacy at 5.1

Re: Best Scope version for older OS

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2025 2:11 am
by valis
One of each is the best of all worlds, until things are addressed in v8. You might hold off on v7 a few weeks so that you can contribute to v8 getting off the ground, but cant' say more about that now.